4 cups of regular oats
3/4 cup dried currants (these dried red seedless grapes are often hard to find, try the bulk section at Whole Foods or order online)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tbsp clover honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- Mix oats, currants and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine oil, honey and vanilla extract in a small dish and microwave for 10 seconds (this ensures that the oil and the honey mix nicely). Stir to combine and add to oat mixture.
- Pour granola mixture on a rimmed baking sheet and place into the middle of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Rotate baking sheet by 180 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes stirring the mixture several times.
- Remove tray from the oven and allow to cool (stir a couple of times so granola won't stick to baking sheet.
- To store, fill granola into large sealable glass jar and store in a cool space (I actually keep mine in the fridge).
I like to add other dried fruit to the granola mixture - try dried blueberries or cranberries.