2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium-sized red onion, diced
1 cup farro
1/2 cup red wine
5 cups hot chicken stock (try to keep the stock as hot as possible as you add it a little at a time)
1.5 cups red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Add red onions and saute for several minutes until translucent.
- Add farro and stir until combined. Pour in red wine and stir until wine is almost evaporated.
- Start adding hot stock, a little at a time. Stir regularly so that the farro doesn't stick or add more as the stock is absorbed. Continue this process until you have used up all of the stock. This will take approximately 30 - 40 minutes.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes about 10 minutes before the farro is done and stir the mixture regularly. Add parmesan cheese, basil and salt and pepper to taste.