Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fig and Mozzarella Kebabs

As a kid I really didn't like figs. I remembered the dried figs my grandmother used to eat around Christmas time in Germany. They were not at all appealing to me - I thought that their gooeyness was quite off-putting. I have since tried a number of dishes with fresh figs, which I found delicious. I particularly like black figs - goat cheese and black figs on a cracker with a glass of chilled white wine make a delicious pre-dinner snack.




Curious about figs? Try this simple appetizer kebab using black figs:

Quantity of ingredients: For one 5-inch skewer you will need one red grape, one slice of prosciutto, one mozzarella ball and 1/2 or 1/4 black fig (depending on size).

black figs
red seedless grapes
mozzarella balls (one should weigh approximately 1/3 oz.)
prosciutto slices
good quality balsamico
salt and freshly ground black pepper
wooden skewers (5 - 6 inches long)


  • Carefully wash and dry figs. Depending on size, cut into halves or quarters. Drain mozzarella balls and roll up prosciutto slices individually.
  • For one kebab thread fig, mozzarella ball, prosciutto and grape onto wooden skewer.
  • Prepare as many kebabs as you like and arrange on a platter.
  • Sprinkle coarse salt and grind black pepper over kebabs. Sparingly dribble balsamico over kebabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment