I adapted the recipe a bit, adding cinnamon and cardamon which add just a bit of holiday flavor.
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
5 oz fine white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
6 oz ground almonds (almond meal)
2 oz flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
whole hazelnuts for decoration
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff.
- Slowly add sugar, vanilla and almond extracts to egg whites.
- Mix flour, almond meal, cinnamon and cardamon and gently fold into egg white mixture.
- Line baking sheet with baking paper and place small ball egg white mixture on sheet (I used a melon baller to measure.
- Place on one hazelnut in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, rotating the sheet after 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely and store in cookie tin.
Makes 30 - 40 macaroons.