1 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line two cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Measure 1/2 tsp of the gingerbread spice mix and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix butter, sugar and remaining spice mix until well blended. Add sifted flour and ground almonds, mix well, and place into refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Using 1 tbsp dough at a time, form crescent shapes and place one inch apart and baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- Take 1/2 tsp of the reserved gingerbread spice mix and mix with 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar. Sift mixture over still warm kipferl. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground anise seed
1/8 tsp ground fennel seed
Mix thoroughly. Makes about 2 tbsp.