1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 small eggs
a pinch of salt
zest of one organic lemon
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
5 medium-size apples, peeled, quartered and cored. Crisscross top of apple quarters with sharp knife.
1 tsp clear gelatin powder
2 tbsp hot water
2 tbsp apricot jam
powdered sugar if desired
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 10-inch cake pan thoroughly.
- Cream butter with a handheld mixer and gradually add sugar, one egg at a time, salt and lemon zest. Mix until your dough is light and well mixed, 2-3 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together and add to butter mixture. Stir until mixed and pour batter into greased cake pan.
- Arrange apple quarters in concentric circles on dough.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
Dissolve gelatin powder in hot water and add apricot jam. Stir until well mixed. Brush still hot cake with glaze. If desired, serve with powdered sugar on top.