3 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
3/4 tsp ground cardamon
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1 lb chicken breast cut into small cubes
1/2 cup plain yogurt
16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup water
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and fry until it becomes translucent. Add garlic and ginger and fry for a few seconds. Add cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir for a minute.
- Add chicken pieces and continue to stir for two minutes thoroughly blending chicken with spices.
- Gradually add yogurt, one tablespoon at a time, and keep stirring until chicken is browned.
- Add tomatoes and stir for two minutes. Add spinach and stir to combine.
- Add one cup water and salt to taste. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Before serving remove cinnamon stick and sprinkle curry with garam masala.